This morning, I took my 3 year old for her immunisations at our doctors surgery. The jabs themselves went rather well…no tears, result! 🎉
However, once I had left the room and stood booking an unrelated appointment with the receptionist, my daughter went limp and unresponsive, her colour changed in seconds and her lips turned blue.
Luckily for us, We were in a great place. The receptionist pulled the nurses from their room where they had another patient and she was taken from me and rushed to a private room. A doctor was then pulled out of her consultation to attend my daughter, at this point being an emergency. Her blood pressure and oxygen levels had dropped and at times unable to record. Her eyes were rolling and an ambulance was called.
To cut a long story short, Leah had an anaphylactic reaction to the vaccines, she was given adrenaline to help her. Throughout this she remained unresponsive.
It wasn’t until the attending paramedic told me that this could have been fatal and had I left the surgery and put her straight into her car seat and left for home, I may not have even noticed until we had got home.
I have never been told to sit in the waiting room for 15 minutes after an immunisation and this post is just to urge mums to do just this.
Experiencing an anaphylactic reaction to an immunisation is 1 in 1 million!
Today we were that 1!