I would like to raise awareness of a seemingly innocent looking toy.
My daughter Evelyn is seven-year old and is scared of the dark, I have tried multiple different night lights but all cast strange shadows on my daughter’s room.
I took Evelyn to our local B and M store in Colchester so she could pick the perfect night-light.
Evelyn choose a ladybird star projector, she has always loved soft toys, and with this light not only is the face and under body soft, it is super cute and gives my little girl comfort with the stars on the ceiling and walls.
The lady bird was working wonders and became one of my little girls firm favourite toys.
Last week I put Evelyn to bed at 8pm as usual, putting on her star projector and I then returned down stairs to continue helping my eldest son with his exam revision, a little over 10 minutes later I heard a gut wrenching scream coming from my little girl, both me and my son rushed up the stairs to see the lady bird on FIRE.
My quick thinking son ran to the bathroom and grabbed the dirty mop bucket and threw the filthy water all over the ladybird, whilst my daughter was still screaming but now being held in my arms.
My son had managed to extinguish the flames coming from the toy, after we had all calmed down and my daughter was safely asleep in my bed, I examined the toy, it appears the battery pack had caught on fire!
The next day when my daughter was at school I phoned the company who makes them, not only to complain but to bring this serious issue to their attention, I was told that I must have used cheap faulty batteries, well No! they were Duracell batteries, I have looked on the internet and I am not the only one to have ha a fire due to this toy, please throw yours away IT IS DANGEROUS
On the Mums Advice Blog you will find our stories, some great recipes, a bit of fun, some bargains in our shopping section and all your stories from our facebook page. Comment and share, keep the discussion going. We discuss some serious issues and some light hearted ones, share some funny memes and some heartbreaking stories. If you have a story you would like to share email it to us firstname.lastname@example.org, if your story is published we'll send you a love to shop voucher. Don't forget you can now follow us on twitter and facebook. We do not pretend to be doctors, lawyers, financial consultants however we have been asked to state this page is for your information only. Its advice offered is purely for your guidance and does not replace any medical opinion or advice given. If you are unsure about anything suggested please make your own informed choice. We take no responsibility for any advice given.