Care Workers Kicked And Abused Patient

A PAIR of care workers who ill-treated a vulnerable mental health patient at a private hospital in Colchester left the victim with fractured ribs and a punctured lung.

Scott Geeson, 28, lashed out and kicked the 44-year-old man whilst working at Cambian Fairview Hospital, in Boxted Road, in 2016.

Lelish Shercan, 27, was also on duty and should have been looking after the patient, who suffered severe mental health problems and had learning difficulties.

Geeson, of Winnock Road, Colchester, and Shercan, of Circus Square Colchester, admitted ill-treating or wilfully neglecting a person without capacity on the day of their trial earlier this month.

The victim, who has severe learning impairments and mental health difficulties, was found with fractured ribs and a punctured lung after an encounter with the pair in his room.

He has since made a full physical recovery and has been moved to another care home.

Since the incident reviews have been carried out by the Care Quality Commission, assisted by the force and Essex County Council.

Cambian officially dismantled and relinquished control of the facility.

It has since been taken over by a new management company, Cygnet.

Geeson and Shercan were sentenced at a hearing at Ipswich Crown Court today.

Jake Taylor, mitigating on behalf of Geeson, said his client did not accept he had caused all of the injuries.

He said: “Around this time his mother had become very unwell and passed away.

“He was coping with that and was frustrated for a number of reasons.

“All these factors built up and resulted in a man lashing out against someone who he otherwise had a good relationship with.”

Shercan was educated in Nepal and his father is a member of the Royal Gurkha Regiment.

Sean Hammond, mitigating on behalf of Shercan, said he was at risk of deportation from the country if he was sent straight to custody.

He said: “The way he behaved on this occasion is completely out of character. He deeply regrets the suffering caused to the victim and his family and wants to offer his sincere apologies.”

Judge John Devaux jailed Geeson for 21 months and Shercan for 16 months.

However Shercan’s sentence will be suspended for two years.

Detective Constable Tim Harris, of Colchester CID, described the pair’s behaviour as “vile and completely unacceptable.”

“It has taken more than three years to see justice for this extremely vulnerable victim,” he said.

“The people who should have cared for him were those who betrayed and mistreated him – their behaviour was vile and completely unacceptable.

“I hope that the other workers, who have supported us fully throughout this investigation and raised the alarm when they recognised the victim’s injuries, realise how instrumental they were in the outcome of this case.

“Speaking out against colleagues, even when they’ve done something wrong, can be incredibly difficult.

“Their bravery has made a real difference to someone who could not speak for themselves.

“By standing up, they’ve given him a voice and allowed Shercan and Geeson to be brought to justice.

“This case was complex and harrowing for everyone involved in the investigation, but it has highlighted one thing – we need whistleblowers now more than ever.

“If that’s you, come forward and call us. You never know what impact it could have.”


Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: